Here are six tips on how to be happy when the world is crazy and you are overwhelmed, cranky, and tired.
1. Stop Thinking About All The Things You Have To Do. Stop adding to your stress by constantly thinking about all the things you have to do. This is a huge stressor! Go ahead and make a “to do” list. That way your mind won’t have to worry about the things that you forgot to do. If you find yourself ruminating about what you need to do, simply mentally say the word “stop.” Then add items to your “To Do” list. The ego wants to keep you busy with constant thinking. The only problem is that a busy mind keeps your natural happiness at bay. Smell a flower, listen to the birds chirping, feel the breeze against your skin. Pay attention to the simple information your senses bring you rather than your busy monkey mind. This is how to be happy.
2. Simplify.Stop filling your life with unnecessary busyness. If you always have to being doing something, could it be that you are avoiding something? What are you not willing to be with in yourself?
3. Just Say “No.” Make saying “No” a practice.It is just as sacred as any other spiritual practice. If you find yourself doing a lot of things that you don’t want to be doing and asking yourself the question, “why did I ever say “yes” to doing this?” This tip is for you. It’s hard to be happy if you are constantly running from one obligation to the next. Put yourself and your happiness first because no one else will. It’s your job to protect your state of mind and stay positive.
4. Connect To Presence. Commit to do something every day that connects you to presence. Maybe it’s taking a walk in nature or quilting or meditating. Learn what keeps you connected to your essence and organize your life to include more and more of those things and notice how you feel!
5. Take 10 Second Thought Breaks Throughout Your Day.If you find yourself feeling stressed or caught up in thought, just notice it. Then close your eyes, take a deep breath and ask yourself the question, “Where is the quiet?” There is no need to answer, just let the question sink in. Simply experience your breath and the stillness that comes from asking the question.
6. Be At Cause You are the one creating your life. You can only be happy when you take responsibility for all of it. Not in a blaming way. Realize when you are complaining or taking on the victim role and choose to come to cause instead. When you realize that everything in your life is happening “for you” rather than “to you,” it moves you out of victim consciousness. Every experience is purposeful even if it doesn’t feel good. It is all happening to wake you up and move you out of the suffering of the ego into the truth of what you are.